How we can help you -
Expert education and guidance for legal professionals
We train the people, not the dogs.
Courthouse Dogs Foundation is dedicated to promoting justice through the use of professionally trained dogs to provide emotional support to everyone in the criminal justice system. We offer our experience and expertise to assist your agency or jurisdiction in the development of a successful facility dog program.
Free Introductory DVD
We have collaborated with the Seattle Police Department and the Seattle Police Foundation in the creation of an introductory DVD for criminal justice professionals. Please note that we can only mail this DVD to individuals working in the field of criminal justice. When you write, please include information about your professional position and agency when making this request.
We can help you via phone or email consultation with every phase of program development. Please get in touch with us if you are contemplating a courthouse dog for your agency. Some of our frequently asked questions include:
- Who should be the handler?
- Where will we get a dog?
- How much does a courthouse dog program cost?
- How do we convince our judges that this is a good idea?
Lively, Engaging Presentations
- One to three hour presentations for audiences of any size
- Informative talks with photos and videos of professionals working with dogs
- For judges, prosecutors, forensic interviewers, victim advocates, child advocacy center professionals, law enforcement officers, nonprofit boards of directors, funding agencies. We can usually arrange to offer CLE credit for our presentations to legal audiences.
- For child advocacy center professionals and others working with child victims and witnesses, law enforcement officers, attorneys, domestic violence/sexual assault units, treatment court teams
- Absorbing, information-packed workshop for up to 30 attendees
- Active learning opportunity with trained assistance dog
Low-cost on-site technical assistance
We can help you develop a road map for a courthouse dog program in your jurisdiction. An on-site visit helps us understand your unique situation and gives us time to meet one-on-one or in small groups with your judges, law enforcement, county council, community members, and other stake holders. We can offer you detailed, specific information to enable you to design an effective dog program.
With a full understanding of your office, we can help you develop policies and protocols, educate your staff, acquire a professionally-trained dog, and integrate the dog into your office.
We are consultants with the Department of Justice Office for Victims of Crime (OVC TTAC) and Office for Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP NTTAC). You may apply to these programs for funding to cover our costs, with some limitations.
Courthouse Dogs Foundation will help you make your program a success. Please contact us for further information.